May 4, 2011
All System Providers, System Participants
And Prospective prepaid Instrument Issuer
Madam/ Dear Sir
Policy Guidelines for issuance and operation of Prepaid Instruments in India.
A reference is invited to Para 124 of the Monetary Policy statement (2011-2012) on the issue of mobile based semi-closed prepaid payment instruments. Attention is also invited to our circular RBI/2009-10/123- DPSS.PD.No.344/02.14.06/2009-2010 dated August 14, 2009 wherein an amendment to Paragraph 3.2 of the policy guidelines on the issue of prepaid instruments in India (RBI/2008-09/ 458, DPSS.CO.PD.No.1873 /02.14.06/ 2008-09 dated April 27, 2009), was carried out.
2. As per the amendment it was decided to permit Other Persons to issue mobile phone based semi-closed system pre-paid payment instruments (semi-closed m-wallets) complying with the above guidelines with the following conditions:
- The maximum value of such instruments shall not exceed ` 5000/-.
- The purchase/reloading of these instruments against the value of airtime/talktime shall not be permitted.
- This facility shall be enabled only to facilitate purchase of goods and services. Person-to-person transfer of value shall not be permitted
3.The position has been reviewed keeping in view the need to facilitate larger acceptance of mobile phone based prepaid payment instruments (M-wallets) as a mode of payment. Accordingly, it has now been decided to bring semi closed m-wallets on par with the other semi-closed prepaid instruments subject to the following conditions.
- The maximum value of such prepaid semi-closed m-wallet shall not exceed ` 50,000 as indicated in Para 6.3 of the above guidelines.
- The monetary ceilings on prepaid instruments issued based on customer due diligence as laid down in Para 6.4 of the extant guidelines would be applicable to such m-wallets.
- The conditions specified at Para 2(ii) & (iii) above will continue to be applicable to such semi-closed m-wallets.
- All other conditions specified in the Policy guidelines for issuance and operation of prepaid instruments in Indiawould mutatis mutandis apply to such m-wallets.
5. The directive is issued under section 18 of Payment and Settlement Systems Act 2007, (Act 51 of 2007).
Chief General Manager