Vision: Decent working conditions and improved quality of life of workers, ensuring India without child labour in hazardous sectors and enhancing employability through employment services and skill development on a sustainable basis.
Mission: Improving the working conditions and the quality of life of workers through laying down and implementing policies/ programmes/ schemes/projects for providing social security and welfare measures, regulating conditions of work, occupational health and safety of workers, eliminating child labour from hazardous occupations and processes, strengthening enforcement of labour laws and promoting skill development and employment services.
1. Enhancing Welfare and Social Security Provisions for Unorganised Sector Workers.
2. Providing Social Security to Organized Sector Workers.
3. Eliminating Child Labour from Hazardous Occupations and Processes.
4. Promoting Skill Development.
5. Strengthening Employment Services.
6. Prevention and Settlement of Industrial Disputes and Strengthening Labour Laws
7. Improving Safety Conditions and Safety of workers.
8. Taking Legislative Initiatives.
1. To promote harmonious relations between labour and management and to regulate wages and other conditions of work in the central sphere.
2. To ensure speedy implementation of labour law awards, agreements, Code of Discipline etc. for improving industrial relations, with regard to units in which central Government is the appropriate Government.
3. To conduct evaluatory studies of implementation of labour laws, industrial relations, personnel policies and practices etc., in Public Sector Undertakings.
4. To regulate working conditions and safety in mines and factories.
5. To prepare ground work for the formulation of National Wage Policy and maintain data on wages, all allowances and other related matters.
6. To collect and publish statistics to conduct enquiries, surveys and research studies on various labour subjects.
7. To conduct programmes relating to employment potential of scheduled caste and scheduled tribe candidates through Coaching-cum- Guidance Centres.
8. To provide amenities to workers employed in the mining industry and beedi manufacturing.
9. To assist in rehabilitation of bonded labour.
10. To provide welfare measures for certain sections of the unorganised labour.
11. To undertake training, education, research and advisory service in the field of industrial relations and labour in general.
12. To educate all sections of workers for their intelligent participation in social and economic development of the nation.
13. To monitor the running of social security schemes viz Employees Provident Fund Organisation and Employees State Insurance Corporation.
14. To lay down Policy Framework for National Employment Service, implementation of National Vocational Training Programme.
Note: Strategic Plan of Ministry of Labour & Employment for next five years attached