UBD.BPD (PCB) Cir. No.30/14.01.062/2011-12
April 19, 2012
The Chief Executive Officer of
All Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks
Implementation of Section 51-A of UAPA, 1967 – Updates of the UNSCR 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011) Committee’s Al Qaida Sanctions List
Please refer to our circular UBD.CO.BPD (PCB) Cir. No. 21/14.01.062/2011-12 dated March 01, 2012. We have since received from Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs, UNP Division copy of note dated January 26, 2012 forwarded by the Chairman of UN Security Council’s 1267/ 1989 Committee (copy enclosed) regarding changes made in the Al-Qaida Sanctions List, i.e. list of Individuals and entities linked to Al-Qaida.
2. Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list. Further, banks should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
3. Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to our circular UBD.CO.BPD. PCB.Cir. No. 21/12.05.001/2009-10 dated November 16, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government.
4. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of bank accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph 7 of the circular dated November 16, 2009 mentioned above.
5. The complete details of the said list are available on the UN website:
6. The Compliance Officer/Principal Officer should acknowledge receipt of this circular to the Regional Office concerned.
Deputy General Manager
Encl: As above