The Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has constituted an Expert Committee for the purpose of reviewing the institutional frame work of Prasar Bharati including its relationship with Government, its continuing role as a public broadcaster and measures needed to ensure technical upgradation of the organization. The composition of the Expert Committee is as under:-
i) Sh. Sam Pitroda, Advisor to the Prime Minister of India on Public Information Infrastructure & Innovations – Chairman
ii) Smt. Asha Swaroop, IAS(Retd) and former Secretary to the Govt. of India – Member
iii) Dr. B.K. Gairola, Mission Director (e-Governance) – Member
iv) Sh. Shekhar Kapur, Member of the National Innovation Council – Member.
v) Prof. M.P. Gupta, IIT Delhi – Member vi) Sh. Jitendra Shankar Mathur, Additional Secretary and nominated member on Prasar Bharati Board.
vii) Shri Jawhar Sircar, Chief Executive, Prasar Bharati – Member (Convenor)
The terms of reference of the Committee are as follows:-
· To suggest measures to sustain, strengthen and amplify Prasar Bharati`s role as a Public Broadcaster with special reference to its relationship with Government in the emerging context.
· To review the status of implementation of the recommendations made by various committees that have undertaken study of Prasar Bharati, namely, the Sengupta committee, the Bakshi Committee and the Narayanamurthy committee and suggest a road map ahead for enhancing the reach and potential of Prasar Bharati.
· To suggest measures to digitize the archival material in the possession of Doordarshan (DD) and All India Radio (AIR) including material from Independence Movement era, and develop enabling infrastructure, in the form of data digitalization systems, data centers and networks etc.
· To suggest ways of using the new media to deliver digital content – both in broadcast mode (DTH) and in a demand-based mode (Free on social media like You-Tube, and on payment through IPTV).
· To suggest a strategy for creating a network of domestic and overseas business partners for ensuring wider reach to a worldwide audience including creating an exclusive overseas service.
· Any other statutory issue that the Committee may like to consider.