image

Finance Ministry Report on India™s External debt at End-December 2012

India™s External DEBT at End-December 2012 Stood at US$ 376.3 Billion Reflecting an Increase of 8.9 Per Cent Over the Level of US$ 345.5 Billion at End-March 2012; External DEBT to GDP Ratio Stood at 20.6 Per Cent at End-December 2012 VIS-À-VIS 19.7 Per Cent at End-March 2012.

Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India has been compiling and releasing quarterly statistics on India™s External Debt for the quarters ending September and December every year. Now it has released statistics relating to India™s external debt at end-December 2012.

At end-December 2012, India™s total external debt stock stood at US$ 376.3 billion, reflecting an increase of US$ 30.8 billion (8.9 per cent) over the level of US$ 345.5 billion at end-March 2012. The rise in external debt during the period was due to both long-term as well as short-term components. Increase in long-term debt was mainly on account of NRI deposits and commercial borrowings, while short-term debt stood higher on account of trade related credits.

The long-term debt stood at US$ 284.4 billion at end-December 2012, recording an increase of US$ 17.1 billion (6.4 per cent) over the end-March 2012 level, while short-term debt increased by US$ 13.7 billion (17.5 per cent) to US$ 91.9 billion.

Short-term debt accounted for 24.4 per cent of India™s total external debt, while the remaining (75.6 per cent) was long-term debt. Within long-term, components such as commercial borrowings accounted for 30.0 per cent of the total external debt, followed by NRI deposits (18.0 per cent) and multilateral debt (13.7 per cent).

Government (Sovereign) external debt stood at US$ 81.7 billion, (21.7 per cent of total external debt) at end-December 2012 as against US$ 81.9 billion (23.7 per cent) at end-March 2012.

The share of US dollar denominated debt was the highest in external debt stock and stood at 56.8 per cent at end-December 2012, followed by debt denominated in terms of the Indian rupee (23.1 per cent), SDR (7.9 per cent), Japanese yen (7.6 per cent) and euro (3.2 per cent).

India™s external debt to GDP ratio stood at 20.6 per cent at end-December 2012 vis-à-vis 19.7 per cent at end-March 2012.

The complete quarterly report of India™s external debt at end-December 2012 is available here for download.

*****

Tags: Debt-to-GDP ratioDecember 2012External debtGDPGross domestic productIndiaministry of finance

profile image

About eMinds Legal

eMinds Legal

eMinds Legal is a Corporate Law Firm based in Gurgaon, India specializing in Corporate Legal, Corporate Secretarial and Compliance. The Firm comprises of a team of Corporate Lawyers and Company Secretaries with in-depth subject matter knowledge and participative industry experience of over 15 years.

Corporate Law Referencer

Recent Articles

Recent Legal updates

Recent Gst Updates