The Secretary, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Shri U.K. Sangma said that the Government will provide all possible support for infrastructure development for mountaineering in North Eastern Region. He said this while interacting with media and the mountaineers of the 1st North East India on top of the World (Mt. Everest) Expedition 2013 here today. Shri Sangma said that his Ministry has already sanctioned Three Crore Rupees for the expedition team.
The 1st North East India top of World Mt. Everest Expedition was funded by Government of India and Government of Manipur and implemented by Manipur Mountaineering and Trekking Association, Manipur.
The expedition was flagged off by the President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee on 20th March 2013 from Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi. The Expedition is first of its kind wherein the climbers are exclusively from the North Eastern States of Manipur. 11 enthusiast mountaineers from the team successfully summitted the Mt. Everest in between 17th to 24thMay 2013. The Expedition was successful in setting up many records for the country. The records include the First mother of two who scaled the Mt. Everest for the third time, the youngest Indian Mountaineers to scale Mt. Everest.
List of the Expedition Team:
1. Dr. L. Surjit Singh, Manipur
2. Mr. Kazi Sherpa, Sikkim
3. Mr. Puyamcha Mohon, Manipur
4. Ms. Anshu Jamserpa, Arunachal Pradesh
5. Mr. Athokpam Robert, Manipur
6. Ms. N. Bidyapati Devi, Manipur
7. Mr. Nima Lama, Arunachal Pradesh
8. Mr. Tarun Saikia, Assam
9. Mr. David Zohmangaiha, Mizoram
10. Mr. Anand Gurung, Sikkim
11. Mr. Nameirakpam Chingkheinganba, Manipur
12. Ms. Wansuk Myrthong, Meghalaya
13. Mr. Waribam James, Manipur
14. Mr. Minishkumar Deka, Assam
15. Dr. L. Nelson, Manipur
16. Mr. Vanlalliana, Mizoram