Foreign investment in India by SEBI registered Long term investors in Government dated Securities
A.P. (DIR Series) Circular No.111
June 12 , 2013
All Category – I Authorised Dealer Banks
Madam / Sir,
Foreign investment in India by SEBI registered Long term investors in
Government dated Securities
Attention of Authorized Dealer Category-I (AD Category-I) banks is invited to Schedule 5 to the Foreign Exchange Management (Transfer or Issue of Security by a Person Resident outside India) Regulations, 2000 notified vide Notification No. FEMA.20/2000-RB dated May 3, 2000, as amended from time to time, in terms of which SEBI registered Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) and long term investors may purchase, on repatriation basis Government securities and non-convertible debentures (NCDs) / bonds issued by an Indian company subject to such terms and conditions as mentioned therein and limits as prescribed for the same by RBI and SEBI from time to time.
2. Attention of AD Category-I banks is also invited to A.P.(DIR Series) Circular No.94 dated April 1, 2013 in terms of which the present limit for investments by FIIs, QFIs and long term investors in Government securities and for corporate debt stood at USD 25 billion and USD 51 billion respectively.
3. On a review, it has now been decided in consultation with Government of India to enhance the limit for foreign investment in Government dated securities with USD 5 billion to USD 30 billion with immediate effect. The enhanced limit of USD 5 billion will be available only for investments in Government dated securities by long term investorsregistered with SEBI – Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs), Multilateral Agencies, Pension/ Insurance/ Endowment Funds, Foreign Central Banks.
4. The operational guidelines in this regard will be issued by SEBI.
5. All other existing conditions for investment in Government securities remain unchanged.
6. AD Category – I banks may bring the contents of this circular to the notice of their constituents and customers concerned.
7. The directions contained in this circular have been issued under sections 10(4) and 11(1) of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (42 of 1999) and are without prejudice to permissions / approvals, if any, required under any other law.
(Rudra Narayan Kar)
Chief General Manager-in-Charge
eMinds Legal | Advocates & Solicitors
eMinds Legal is a boutique Law Firm based in Gurgaon, India specializing in Corporate Legal, Corporate Secretarial and Compliance. The Firm comprises of a team of Corporate Lawyers and Company Secretaries with in-depth subject matter knowledge and participative industry experience of over 15 years.