DBOD. AML. No. 1416 /14.06.001/2013-14
July 26, 2013
The Chairmen / CEOs of all Scheduled Commercial Banks (Excluding RRBs)/
Local Area Banks / All India Financial Institutions
Implementation of Section 51-A of UAPA, 1967 Updates of the UNSCR 1988(2011) Sanctions List
Please refer to our circular DBOD. AML. No. 6328 -14.06.001-2012-13 dated October 29, 2012 on the captioned subject. We have since received from Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs, UNP Division, copy of note dated June 27, 2013 forwarded by the Chairman of UN Security Council’s 1988 Committee (copy enclosed) regarding changes made in the 1988 Sanctions List, i.e. list of Individuals and entities linked to Taliban.
2. Banks/All India Financial Institutions are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list. Further, banks should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
3. Banks are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to our circular DBOD.AML.BC. No. 44/14.01.001/2009-10 dated September 17, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government.
4. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of bank accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph 6 of the circular dated September 17, 2009, mentioned above.
5. The complete details of the said list are available on the UN website:
6. Compliance Officer/Principal Officer should acknowledge receipt of this circular.
(Prakash Chandra Sahoo)
Chief General Manager
Encl: as above