Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
The Sub-Committee has inter-alia recommended:-
• Creation of a National Portal to act as the nodal platform for transacting and monitoring online sale of drugs.
• Necessity of evolving a mechanism to register e-pharmacies.
• Geographical restrictions for operation of e-pharmacies.
• Existing licencees involved in retail sale of drugs could also register on the National Portal for carrying out online sale of drugs.
• certain categories of drugs viz. the Narcotic and Psychotropic drugs, tranquilizers, habit forming drugs and Schedule X drugs that are prone to being abused or misused be excluded from sale through e-pharmacies.
All matters relating to sale of drugs including through online will continue to be regulated in accordance with the provisions of the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945 as amended from time to time.
The Minister of State (Health and Family Welfare), Sh Faggan Singh Kulaste stated this in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
(Release ID :158154)