March 10, 2017
All Listed Entities who have listed their equity and convertibles
All the Recognized Stock Exchanges
Sub: Schemes of Arrangement by Listed Entities and (ii) Relaxation under Sub-rule (7) of rule 19 of the Securities Contracts (Regulation) Rules, 1957
1. SEBI (Listing Obligations and Disclosure Requirements) Regulations, 2015 (hereinafter referred to as “listing regulations”) place obligations with respect to Scheme of Arrangement on Listed Entities and Stock Exchange(s) in Regulation 11, 37 and 94.
2. Regulation 11 of the listing regulations, inter-alia, provides that any scheme of arrangement / amalgamation / merger / reconstruction / reduction of capital etc. to be presented to any Court or Tribunal does not in any way violate, override or limit the provisions of securities laws or requirements of the Stock Exchanges. Regulation 37 of listing regulations provides that the listed entities desirous of undertaking scheme of arrangement or involved in a scheme of arrangement shall file the draft scheme with Stock Exchange(s) for obtaining Observation Letter or No-objection Letter, before filing such scheme with any court or Tribunal. Regulation 94 of the listing regulations requires Stock Exchanges to forward such draft schemes to SEBI in the manner prescribed by SEBI.
3. SEBI Circular No. CIR/CFD/CMD/16/2015 dated November 30, 2015 lays down the detailed requirements to be complied with by listed entities while undertaking schemes of arrangements.
4. Sub-rule (7) of rule 19 of the Securities Contracts (Regulation) Rules, 1957 (hereinafter referred to as “the SCRR”) provides that Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) may, at its own discretion or on the recommendation of a recognised Stock Exchange, waive or relax the strict enforcement of any or all of the requirements with respect to listing prescribed by these rules.
5. In consultation with the stock exchanges and market participants, it has been decided to revise the regulatory framework for such schemes of arrangement. Certain regulations as mentioned in this circular have been amended. The details of revised requirements to be complied with are given in Annexure-I.
6. Applicability: The schemes filed after the date of this circular shall be governed under this circular. The Schemes already submitted to the stock exchange in terms of SEBI Circular No. CIR/CFD/CMD/16/2015 dated November 30, 2015, shall be governed by the requirements specified in that circular.
For complete Circular, follow the below link: