Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, P.G.& Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
3Rd Floor,Lok Nayak Bhavan,
Khan Market, new Delhi,
The 1st August , 2017
Sub: Simplification of pension procedure-
- Handling over of PPO to the retiring employee by the Head of Office before retirement and
- Submission of undertaking by retiring Government servant along with permission papers-Reg.
The Undersigned is directed to invite attention to this departments Office Memorandum of even number , dated 7th May 2014(copy available at departmental website), vide which provisions had been made that the undertaking to be submitted by the retiring Government servant /pensioner to the pension disbursing bank to refund or make good any amount to which he is not entitled may be obtained by the Head of Office from the retiring Government servant along with the Pension Payment Order(PPO) by the Accounts office/CPAO following the usual procedure. The bank shall credit the pension to the account of the pensioner as soon as this undertaking is received along with the pension documents.
- The pensioner is no longer required to visit the bank to activate the first payment of pension. therefore, after ascertaining that the Bank’s copy has been dispatched by the Central Pension Accounting Office, the Pensioner’s copy of the PPO is to be handed over to him at the time of retirement along with other retirement dues. This should be feasible in all cases where the government servant had submitted pension papers within the time-limits prescribed in the Central Civil services (Pension) Rules 1972.
- An employee posted at a location away from the office of Head of Office or who for any other reason feels that it would be more convenient to him to obtain his copy of PPO from the Bank, may inform the Head of Office of his option in writing while submitting his pension papers.
- However, in the recent past, many instances have come to the notice of this department wherein the pensioner’s copy of the PPO has not been handed over to him/her and instead had been sent to the bank and the same was not lost in transit sometimes thereby causing hardships to the pensioner.
- in view of foregoing , all Ministries/departments are once again requested to strictly follow the above procedure henceforth viz, handling over the copy of pensioner PPO to him/het at the time of retirement along with other retirement dues except if the pensioner specifically requests for delivering his/her copy of PPO through bank. Department of posts and Department of Telecommunications are requested to make suitable amendments to the instructions to the Accounts Officers and pension disbursing Post Offices/Banks to adhere to the above procedure .
Under Secretary to the Government of India