SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE, EXTENT, COMMENCEMENT AND APPLICATION
(1) This Act may be called the Companies Act, 2013.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) This section shall come into force at once and the remaining provisions of this Act shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act and any reference in any provision to the commencement of this Act shall be construed as a reference to the coming into force of that provision.
(4) The provisions of this Act shall apply to—
(a) companies incorporated under this Act or under any previous company law;
(b) insurance companies, except in so far as the said provisions are inconsistent with the provisions of the Insurance Act, 1938 (4 of 1938) or the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999 (41 of 1999);
(c) banking companies, except in so far as the said provisions are inconsistent with the provisions of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 (10 of 1949);
(d) companies engaged in the generation or supply of electricity, except in so far as the said provisions are inconsistent with the provisions of the Electricity Act, 2003 (36 of 2003);
(e) any other company governed by any special Act for the time being in force, except in so far as the said provisions are inconsistent with the provisions of such special Act; and
(f) such body corporate, incorporated by any Act for the time being in force, as the Central Government may, by notification, specify in this behalf, subject to such exceptions, modifications or adaptation, as may be specified in the notification.
Clarification on the Notification dated 12-9-2013 regarding implementation of provisions of Companies Act, 2013
Circular No. 16/2013, dated 18-9-2013
The Ministry had issued a Notification No. 12-9-2013 bringing into force to 98 sections or part thereof of the Companies Act, 2013. The said notification is available on the Ministry’s website. This Ministry has been receiving requests for clarification as to whether the provisions of the Companies Act, 1956 corresponding to such 98 sections would continue to apply or not.
It is hereby clarified that with effect from 12-9-2013, the relevant provisions of the Companies Act, 1956, which correspond to provisions of 98 sections of the Companies Act, 2013 brought into force on 12-9-2013, cease to have effect from that date.
Clarification on transitional period for resolutions passed Under the Companies Act, 1956.
General Circular No. 32/2014, dated 23-07-2014
It has been brought to the notice of the Government that many companies have passed resolutions during financial year 2013-14 under the relevant provisions of the Companies Act, 1956 (Old Act) which are/were at different stages of implementation after coming into force of corresponding provisions of the new Companies Act, 2013 (New Act). Ministry has received suggestions that while section 6 of the General Clauses Act, 1897 protects the validity of such resolutions, it will be advisable if a suitable communication is also issued in the matter by the Ministry by way of abundant caution.
2. The matter has been examined in the light of similar issues clarified earlier. It is clarified that resolutions approved or passed by companies under relevant applicable provisions of the Old Act during the period from 1st September, 2013 to 31st March, 2014, can be implemented, in accordance with provisions of the Old Act, notwithstanding the repeal of the relevant provision subject to the conditions (a) that the implementation of the resolution actually commenced before 1st April, 2014 and (b) that this transitional arrangment will be available upto expiry of one year from the passing of the resolution or six months from the commencement of the corresponding provision in New Act whichever is later. It is also clarified that any amendment of the resolution must be in accordance with the relevant provision of the New Act.