SECTION 129. FINANCIAL STATEMENT
[Effective from 1st April, 2014]
(1) The financial statements shall give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the company or companies, comply with the accounting standards notified under section 133 and shall be in the form or forms as may be provided for different class or classes of companies in Schedule III:
Provided that the items contained in such financial statements shall be in accordance with the accounting standards:
Provided further that nothing contained in this sub-section shall apply to any insurance or banking company or any company engaged in the generation or supply of electricity, or to any other class of company for which a form of financial statement has been specified in or under the Act governing such class of company:
Provided also that the financial statements shall not be treated as not disclosing a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the company, merely by reason of the fact that they do not disclose—
(a) in the case of an insurance company, any matters which are not required to be disclosed by the Insurance Act, 1938 (4 of 1938), or the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999 (41 of 1999);
(b) in the case of a banking company, any matters which are not required to be disclosed by the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 (10 of 1949);
(c) in the case of a company engaged in the generation or supply of electricity, any matters which are not required to be disclosed by the Electricity Act, 2003 (36 of 2003);
(d) in the case of a company governed by any other law for the time being in force, any matters which are not required to be disclosed by that law.
(2) At every annual general meeting of a company, the Board of Directors of the company shall lay before such meeting financial statements for the financial year.
(3) Where a company has one or more subsidiaries, it shall, in addition to financial statements provided under sub-section (2), prepare a consolidated financial statement of the company and of all the subsidiaries in the same form and manner as that of its own which shall also be laid before the annual general meeting of the company along with the laying of its financial statement under sub-section (2):
Provided that the company shall also attach along with its financial statement, a separate statement containing the salient features of the financial statement of its subsidiary or subsidiaries in such form as may be prescribed:
Provided further that the Central Government may provide for the consolidation of accounts of companies in such manner as may be prescribed.
Explanation.—For the purposes of this sub-section, the word “subsidiary” shall include associate company and joint venture.
(4) The provisions of this Act applicable to the preparation, adoption and audit of the financial statements of a holding company shall, mutatis mutandis, apply to the consolidated financial statements referred to in sub-section (3).
(5) Without prejudice to sub-section (1), where the financial statements of a company do not comply with the accounting standards referred to in sub-section (1), the company shall disclose in its financial statements, the deviation from the accounting standards, the reasons for such deviation and the financial effects, if any, arising out of such deviation.
(6) The Central Government may, on its own or on an application by a class or classes of companies, by notification, exempt any class or classes of companies from complying with any of the requirements of this section or the rules made thereunder, if it is considered necessary to grant such exemption in the public interest and any such exemption may be granted either unconditionally or subject to such conditions as may be specified in the notification.
(7) If a company contravenes the provisions of this section, the managing director, the whole-time director in charge of finance, the Chief Financial Officer or any other person charged by the Board with the duty of complying with the requirements of this section and in the absence of any of the officers mentioned above, all the directors shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or with fine which shall not be less than fifty thousand rupees but which may extend to five lakh rupees, or with both.
Explanation.—For the purposes of this section, except where the context otherwise requires, any reference to the financial statement shall include any notes annexed to or forming part of such financial statement, giving information required to be given and allowed to be given in the form of such notes under this Act.
Section 129 shall not apply to a Government Company, to the extent of application of Accounting Standard 17 (Segment Reporting) to the companies engaged in defence production. vide Notification No. GSR 463(E) dated 5th June, 2015.
Companies (Accounts) Rules, 2014
[Effective from 1st April, 2014]
Rule 5. Form of Statement containing salient features of financial statements of subsidiaries.—The statement containing the salient feature of the financial statement of a company’s subsidiary or subsidiaries, associate company or companies and joint venture or ventures under the first proviso to sub-section (3) of section 129 shall be in Form AOC-1.
Rule 6. Manner of consolidation of accounts.—The consolidation of financial statements of the company shall be made in accordance with the provisions of Schedule III of the Act and the applicable accounting standards:
Provided that in case of a company covered under sub-section (3) of section 129 which is not required to prepare consolidated financial statements under the Accounting Standards, it shall be sufficient if the company complies with provisions on consolidated financial statements provided in Schedule III of the Act.
[Provided further that nothing in this rule shall apply in respect of preparation of consolidated financial statements by a company if it meets the following conditions:-
(i) it is a wholly-owned subsidiary, or is a partially-owned subsidiary of another company and all its other members, including those not otherwise entitled to vote, having been intimated in writing and for which the proof of delivery of such intimation is available with the company, do not object to the company not presenting consolidated financial statements;
(ii) it is a company whose securities are not listed or are not in the process of listing on any stock exchange, whether in India or outside India; and
(iii) its ultimate or any intermediate holding company files consolidated financial statements with the Registrar which are in compliance with the applicable Accounting Standards.]
[Provided also that nothing contained in this rule shall, subject to any other law or regulation, apply for the financial year commencing from the 1st day of April, 2014 and ending on the 31st March, 2015, in case of a company which does not have a subsidiary or subsidiaries but has one or more associate companies or joint ventures or both, for the consolidation of financial statement in respect of associate companies or joint ventures or both, as the case may be.]
[Provided also that nothing in this rule shall apply in respect of consolidation of financial statement by a company having subsidiary or subsidiaries incorporated outside India only for the financial year commencing on or after lst April, 2014.]
Commencement of provisions of the Companies Act, 2013 with regard to maintenance of books of accounts and preparations/adoption/filing of financial statements, auditors report, Board’s report and attachments to such statements and reports—Applicability with regard to relevant financial year
General Circular No. 08/2014, dated 4-4-2014
A number of provisions of the Companies Act, 2013 including those relating to maintenance of books of account, preparation, adoption & filing of financial statements (and documents required to be attached thereto), Auditors reports and the Board of Directors report (Board’s report) have been brought into force with effect from 1st April, 2014. Provisions of Schedule II (Useful lives to compute depreciation) and Schedule III (Format of financial statements) have also been brought into force from that date. The relevant Rules pertaining to these provisions
have also been notified, placed on the website of the Ministry and have came into force from the same date.
The Ministry has received requests for clarification with regard to the relevant financial year with effect from which such provisions of the new Act relating to maintenance of books of account, preparation, adoption and filing of financial statements (and attachments thereto), auditors report and Board’s report will be applicable.
Although the position in this behalf is quite clear, to make things absolutely clear it is hereby notified that the financial statements (and documents required to be attached thereto), auditors report and Board’s report in respect of financial years that commenced earlier than 1st April, 2014 shall be governed by the relevant provisions/Schedules/rules of the Companies Act, 1956 and that in respect of ther financial year commencing on or after 1st April, 2014, the provisons of the new Act shall apply.
Clarification on matters relating to Consolidated Financial Statement.
General Circular No. 39/2014, dated 14-10-2014
Government has received representations from stakeholders seeking clarifications on the manner of presentation of notes in Consolidated Financial Statement (CFS) to be prepared under Schedule III to the Companies Act, 2013(Act). These representations have been examined in consultation with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and it is clarified that Schedule III to the Act read with the applicable Accounting Standards does not envisage that a company while preparing its CFS merely repeats the disclosures made by it under stand-alone accounts being consolidated. In the CFS, the company would need to give all disclosures relevant for CFS only.
 Inserted by the Companies (Accounts) Amendment Rules,2014 vide Notification No. GSR 723 (E) dated 14th October, 2014.
 Inserted by the Companies (Accounts) Amendment Rules, 2015 vide Notification No. G.S.R.37 (E) dated 16th Januray, 2015.
 Shall not apply to a government company as amended vide Notification No. 463(E) dated 5th June, 2015 to the extent of the application of Accounting Standard 17( Segment Reporting) to the companies engaged in the defence production.
 Substituted by the Companies (Accounts) Amendment Rules, 2016 vide Notification No. 742(E) dated 27th July, 2016. Prior to the substitution it read as under:
“Provided further that nothing in this rule shall apply in respect of preparation of consolidated financial statement by an intermediate wholly-owned subsidiary, other than a wholly-owned subsidiary whose immediate parent is a company incorporated outside India”