SECTION 405. POWER OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT TO DIRECT COMPANIES TO
FURNISH INFORMATION OR STATISTICS
[Effective from 12th September, 2013]
(1) The Central Government may, by order, require companies generally, or any class of companies, or any company, to furnish such information or statistics with regard to their or its constitution or working, and within such time, as may be specified in the order.
(2) Every order under sub-section (1) shall be published in the Official Gazette and may be addressed to companies generally or to any class of companies, in such manner, as the Central Government may think fit and the date of such publication shall be deemed to be the date on which requirement for information or statistics is made on such companies or class of companies, as the case may be.
(3) For the purpose of satisfying itself that any information or statistics furnished by a company or companies in pursuance of any order under sub-section (1) is correct and complete, the Central Government may by order require such company or companies to produce such records or documents in its possession or allow inspection thereof by such officer or furnish such further information as that Government may consider necessary.
(4) If any company fails to comply with an order made under sub-section (1) or sub-section (3), or knowingly furnishes any information or statistics which is incorrect or incomplete in any material respect, the company shall be punishable with fine which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees and every officer of the company who is in default, shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months or with fine which shall not be less than twenty-five thousand rupees but which may extend to three lakh rupees, or with both.
(5) Where a foreign company carries on business in India, all references to a company in this section shall be deemed to include references to the foreign company in relation, and only in relation, to such business.
Companies (Registration Offices and Fees) Rules, 2014
[Effective from 1st April, 2014]
Rule 3. Business activity.—Every company including foreign company which carries out its business through electronic mode, whether its main server is installed in India or outside India, which—
(i) undertakes business to business and business to consumer transactions, data interchange or other digital supply transactions;
(ii) offers to accept deposits or invites deposits or accepts deposits or subscriptions in securities, in India or from citizens of India;
(iii) undertakes financial settlements, web based marketing, advisory and transactional services, database services or products, supply chain management;
(iv) offers online services such as telemarketing, telecommuting, telemedicine, education and information research; or
(v) undertakes any other related data communication services, whether conducted by e-mail, mobile devices, social media, cloud computing, document management, voice or data transmission or otherwise,
shall be deemed to have carried out business in India.
Companies (Furnishing of information about payment to micro and small enterprise suppliers) Order,2019
Notification No. S.O. 368(E) dated 22nd January, 2019
Whereas, the Central Government vide notification number S.O. 5622(E), dated the 2nd November, 2018 has directed that all companies, who get supplies of goods or services from micro and small enterprises and whose payments to micro and small enterprise suppliers exceed forty five days from the date of acceptance or the date of deemed acceptance of the goods or services as per the provisions of section 9 of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006 (27 of 2006) (hereafter referred to as “Specified Companies”), shall submit a half yearly return to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs stating the following:
(a) the amount of payment due; and
(b) the reasons of the delay;
And whereas, in exercise of power under section 405 of the Companies Act, 2013, (18 of 2013) the Central Government, considers it necessary to require “Specified Companies” to furnish above information under said section of the Act.
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 405 of the Companies Act, 2013 (18 of 2013), the Central Government hereby makes the following Order, namely:-
- Short title and commencement.- (1) This Order may be called the Specified Companies (Furnishing of information about payment to micro and small enterprise suppliers) Order, 2019.
(2) It shall come into force from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
- Every specified company shall file in MSME Form I details of all outstanding dues to Micro or small enterprises suppliers existing on the date of notification of this order within thirty days from the date of publication of this notification.
- Every specified company shall file a return as per MSME Form I annexed to this Order, by 31st October for the period from April to September and by 30th April for the period from October to March.
Extension for last date of filing initial return in MSME Form I – reg.
General Circular No. 01/2019 dated 21st February, 2019
Pending the deployment of MSME Form I on MCA 21 portal and in order to avoid inconvenience to stakeholders on account of various factors, it is stated the period of thirty days for filing initial return in MSME Form 1 as specified in Specified Companies (Furnishing of information about payment to micro and small enterprise suppliers) Order, 2019 dated 22.01.2019 shall be reckoned from the date the said e-form is deployed on MCA 21 portal.