SECTION 102. STATEMENT TO BE ANNEXED TO NOTICE
[Effective from 12th September, 2013]
Section 102 shall apply to a private company unless otherwise specified in respective sections or the articles of the company provide otherwise, vide Notification No. 464(E) dated 5th June, 2015.
The above mentioned exception shall be applicable to a private company which has not committed a default in filing its financial statements under section 137 of the said Act or annual return under section 92 of the said Act with the Registrar, vide amendment notification F. No. 1/1/2014- CL-V dated 13th June 2017.
Section 102 shall apply in case of a Specified IFSC public company, unless otherwise specified in the articles of the company, vide Notification no. G.S.R. 08(E).dated 04th January, 2017.
(1) A statement setting out the following material facts concerning each item of special business to be transacted at a general meeting, shall be annexed to the notice calling such meeting, namely:—
(a) the nature of concern or interest, financial or otherwise, if any, in respect of each items of—
(i) every director and the manager, if any;
(ii) every other key managerial personnel; and
(iii) relatives of the persons mentioned in sub-clauses (i) and (ii);
(b) any other information and facts that may enable members to understand the meaning, scope and implications of the items of business and to take decision thereon.
(2) For the purposes of sub-section (1),—
(a) in the case of an annual general meeting, all business to be transacted thereat shall be deemed special, other than—
(i) the consideration of financial statements and the reports of the Board of Directors and auditors;
(ii) the declaration of any dividend;
(iii) the appointment of directors in place of those retiring;
(iv) the appointment of, and the fixing of the remuneration of, the auditors; and
(b) in the case of any other meeting, all business shall be deemed to be special:
Provided that where any item of special business to be transacted at a meeting of the company relates to or affects any other company, the extent of shareholding interest in that other company of every promoter, director, manager, if any, and of every other key managerial personnel of the first mentioned company shall, if the extent of such shareholding is not less than two per cent. of the paid-up share capital of that company, also be set out in the statement.
(3) Where any item of business refers to any document, which is to be considered at the meeting, the time and place where such document can be inspected shall be specified in the statement under sub-section (1).
(4) Where as a result of the non-disclosure or insufficient disclosure in any statement referred to in sub-section (1), being made by a promoter, director, manager, if any, or other key managerial personnel, any benefit which accrues to such promoter, director, manager or other key managerial personnel or their relatives, either directly or indirectly, the promoter, director, manager or other key managerial personnel, as the case may be, shall hold such benefit in trust for the company, and shall, without prejudice to any other action being taken against him under this Act or under any other law for the time being in force, be liable to compensate the company to the extent of the benefit received by him.
(5) If any default is made in complying with the provisions of this section, every promoter, director, manager or other key managerial personnel who is in default shall be punishable with fine which may extend to fifty thousand rupees or five times the amount of benefit accruing to the promoter, director, manager or other key managerial personnel or any of his relatives, whichever is more.
Clarification on the notification dated 12-9-2013 regarding implementation of provisions of Companies Act, 2013
General Circular No. 15/2013, dated 13-9-2013 [Relevant Extract]
The Companies Act, 2013 received the assent of the President on 29th August, 2013 and was notified in the Gazette of India on 30th August, 2013. Towards the proper implementation of the Companies Act, 2013, first tranche of Draft Rules on 16 Chapters have been placed on the website of the Ministry on 9.9.2013 for inviting comments and objections/suggestions from the general public/stakeholders. Of the 16 Chapters, only 13 Chapters require specifying of Forms referred to in those Chapters. The draft Forms shall be placed on the website shortly.
2. Ministry of Corporate Affairs has also notified 98 sections for implementation of the provisions of the Companies Act, 2013 (the “said Act”) on 12.9.2013. Certain difficulties have been expressed by the stakeholders in the implementation of following provisions of the said Act. With a view to facilitate proper administration of the said Act, it is clarified that—
* * *
(ii) Section 102: All companies which have issued notices of general meeting on or after 12.9.2013, the statement to be annexed to the notice shall comply with additional requirements as prescribed in section 102 of the “said Act”
* * *
3. This issues with the approval of competent authority.